The Most ..... Time of the Year...

Today I want to talk about the holidays. It doesn't have anything to do with living in Kenya or South Africa; just something that has been on my heart.  November and December are busy months of the year. So many people are making plans to spend time with friends and family. Buying gifts, making special meals, traveling, celebrating...but...

My extended family is going through a difficult time right now. The details of it don't really matter, but it has made me look at people around me with different eyes. I don't look like a person that has experienced a tragedy in the past several months. If you met me on the street or in a store or when I go to work you would have no idea that a part of my mind often wonders to a place of sadness. Only my closest friends know the details of what has happened. And not all of them, because I find it difficult to talk about. (I don't mean to be dramatic or secretive; the details are complicated and not mine to share publically). The point is that as I have been open and vulnerable, I have learned that some of them also carry deep concerns in their hearts every day, things I never would have guessed.

What I have realized is that I need to consciously work at being kind to everyone around me. I don't know what they are going through in their lives or what scars and tragedies mar their lives or memories. I want to speak gently and have compassion even when I might be mistreated by strangers when I am out and about. I also want to be a safe place for my friends to share about their own losses, hurts and pain.

The holidays are a time of joy and I really can't wait to celebrate with my family and friends. At the same time, I have a deeper understanding this year that celebrations are often mingled with loss, sadness and even fear. So I will walk lightly during this season of festivities and pray to be a source of comfort and compassion to those around me.

  

Comments

Popular Posts