Little Things Make All The Difference...

I've spent some time the last few days mulling over the content of some of my articles on this blog. A few stories have been full of content I think has resonated with you and with others as well.  Others seem to fall a little flat and in my insecurity I have been thinking they are just "fluff."  Not the important stuff you might want to know.  But then, again, who's to say that? 

For example, what we ate and how I fixed meals might not seem important in the grand scheme of things.  But what if I had gotten to Kenya and just started complaining about how different everything was and how hard it was to cook without an oven and all the ingredients I was used to.  Somehow, if that had happened, I think the outcome of our story and our life would have been very different.  I would have become a complaining, bitter woman who was hard to live with and we probably would have had to leave Kenya and come back to the United States.  God would have still worked in our lives - He brings good from even our worst sins somehow - but we would have missed out on such wonderful adventures. 

One of my favorite verses in the scriptures is in Song of Songs 2:15.  It says "Catch for us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards, our vineyards that are in bloom."  The context of the verse has to do with marriage, but I think the principle is universal.  It's the little things that often trip us up. Little things that grow into major hurdles if we aren't careful. Something small like learning to enjoy different cuisine.  Or getting used to riding on overcrowded matatus.  Or carrying water up several flights of stairs to be able to wash the dishes. You get my point.

I hope in your lives that you don't let the little things -  small daily frustrations, challenges that come up in friendships, bad attitudes in traffic - keep you from enjoying the many blessings God has in store for you.  I hope you look at whatever "fluff" comes your way as an opportunity to grow and learn.  Overcoming and embracing the "fluff" is what afforded us the opportunity to share the Bible with so many and to watch our friends lives blossom.  It is what changed our hearts and minds so that we were able to raise you in such amazing places.  So here's to the value of "fluff," and the determination to catch those little foxes quickly in our lives!!!

Comments

  1. Dear Lori, How lovely that you have shared the small things, the fluff, with us. A Catholic saint, St. Teresa of the Child Jesus, focused on getting close to God through small actions. She said that if one could pick up a pin out of pure love for God one would be able to save the world.

    God bless you and Tom for your burning love for God.

    Stephen Ind

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts